BRIEF INFORMATION ON THE CONTRIBUTION OF DOCTORAL THESIS
Title: Activities of some communist parties in South Asia from 1991 to 2011
Field of Study: History of the Communist, International Workers and the National Liberation Movements Code: 62 22 03 12
PhD Candidate: Man Huyen Sam
Supervisor: 1. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Phan Van Ran
2. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nguyen Viet Thao
Training Institution: Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics
SUMMARY OF THE MAJOR CONCLUSIONS
1. Activities of the communist parties in South Asia during the period 1991 to 2011 were affected by the following main factors: (1) Results of the South Asia communist parties’ activities during the pre-1991 period; (2) The world context after the Cold War; (3) The situation of the international communist movement and power correlation between socialism and capitalism; (4) The situation of South Asia.
2. During the period 1991 to 2011, communist parties in South Asian focused on overcoming crisis resulted from the setback of the international communist movement in order to restore activities and find new paths to socialism in conformity with each country’s realities. In the period from 1991 to 1999, the communist parties attached special importance to the internal consolidation to maintain forces and activities. In the period from 2000 to 2011, due to recovery on forces and organization, they shifted their focus to struggle inside and outside of the parliament, expand relations and strengthen the coordination within the international communist movement.
3. Some experiences gaining from the success and failure of the communist parties’ activities in South Asia: (1) There is a solidarity and unity in each party and each country’s communist movement; (2) The communist parties have been purely and strongly built; (3) Accurate guidelines have been set out in accordance with each revolutionary period, the contents of struggle strategy have been renewed and various forms of struggle have been combined flexibly and diversely; (4) The comprehensive power of the people and socio-political forces has been promoted; (5) The coordination of activities among the international communist and labor movement has been strengthen, together with an expand in the relationships with progressive and influenced political parties, and an active participation in the regional and international fora of political parties.
4. Some measures to strengthen the relations between the Communist Party of Vietnam and the South Asian communist parties in the upcoming time: (1) To raise the awareness on the imperativeness of enhancing relations; (2) To well understand the purposes and requirements of strengthening relations; (3) To diversify the forms of relation and coordination; (4) To enrich the details of cooperation; (5) To promote the specific characteristics of relations with each party.